Emergency contraception is a technique of contraception used after sexual activity. Emergency contraception is often used after unprotected intercourse or when utilizing a condom throughout intercourse.
This technique is known as “emergency” as a result of the couple should truly use different strategies to keep away from being pregnant. Couples mustn’t depend on doing something after intercourse to forestall being pregnant.
READ MORE: 6 issues your physique experiences in a different way after you cease taking contraception drugs
emergency contraception details
The following data outlines some vital details about emergency contraception.
1. Types of emergency contraception
There are two sorts of emergency contraception: drugs and copper IUDs.
emergency contraceptive tablet or morning after tablet It is a tablet taken instantly after intercourse to keep away from being pregnant.
There are a number of sorts of drugs.
- Levonorgestrel needs to be taken inside 3 days of getting intercourse.
- Ulipristal acetate needs to be taken inside 5 days of sexual activity.
- The mixed contraceptive tablet needs to be taken twice and two extra tablets needs to be taken 12 hours later.
A copper IUD is a small T-shaped plastic system wrapped in copper wire that’s inserted into the uterus to forestall being pregnant. There are some things it’s good to do earlier than utilizing a copper IUD for emergency contraception.
- A copper IUD have to be inserted by a doctor.
- Mothers ought to enter inside 5 days of sexual activity.
- An IUD can be utilized as a contraception tablet for as much as 10 years.
Pills are extra generally used as emergency contraception, however copper IUDs work higher. Levonorgestrel works higher when taken instantly after intercourse, however not so nicely in obese girls.
Read extra: Can IUDs intrude with my intercourse life? Fact test!
2. How emergency contraception works
The emergency contraceptive tablet can forestall being pregnant by stopping or delaying ovulation and never inflicting an abortion. On the opposite hand, copper-containing IUDs trigger chemical adjustments earlier than the sperm and egg meet, stopping fertilization. Emergency contraception can’t intrude with a pre-existing being pregnant or hurt the creating embryo.
3. People who want to make use of emergency contraceptives
All girls who wish to postpone being pregnant ought to use emergency contraception after dangerous sexual activity. There are not any absolute medical contraindications or age limits for the usage of emergency contraception.
4. When ought to I take advantage of the emergency contraceptive tablet?
Couples ought to think about using emergency contraception if they’ve intercourse and:
- I don’t use contraception.
- Worried that contraception will not be working, for instance, a condom is torn.
Ask your physician to prescribe an emergency contraceptive tablet, or take into account protecting a number of sorts of emergency contraceptive drugs at dwelling in case you want them.
Read extra: Sorry. I forgot to make use of a condom. Do these 6 issues straight away!
5. How efficient is the emergency contraceptive tablet?
When used correctly, it’s efficient for most girls utilizing emergency contraception. According to MSD ManualThe effectiveness of emergency contraception is:
- About 20 to 30 out of 1,000 girls grow to be pregnant after taking levonorgestrel.
- About 15 out of 1000 girls grow to be pregnant after utilizing ulipristal acetate.
- Combined contraceptives usually are not as efficient as levonorgestrel or ulipristal.
- About 2 in 1000 girls grow to be pregnant after utilizing a copper IUD.
6. Follow-up after taking emergency contraceptive tablet
If you select a tablet as your emergency contraceptive technique, there are some things to bear in mind after taking this tablet.
- If you vomit after taking the tablet, you will want to take it once more.
- If menstruation doesn’t return after 3 weeks, get a being pregnant take a look at.
- Visit your physician or clinic for emergency contraception so you should utilize it later if wanted.
Although emergency contraception is efficient in stopping being pregnant for a lot of girls, it isn’t one of the simplest ways to forestall being pregnant. It is greatest to take preventative measures early, resembling taking common contraception drugs, contraceptive injections, inserting an IUD, and utilizing condoms. Ask your physician which contraception technique is greatest for you.
Also learn: 5 Myths About Pregnancy Prevention You Shouldn’t Believe
WHO.int. emergency contraception
Msdmanuals. emergency contraception
Women’s Health.gov. emergency contraceptive tablet
Updated, written and revealed by Just Healthx